Are Jade Plants Poisonous? (Answered)

are jade plants toxic?

You may have heard of jade plants if you are a plant enthusiast.

They are commonly found as houseplants worldwide.

But are jade plants poisonous? Yes, jade plants are poisonous.

However, by knowing which part of the plants is poisonous, you know how to handle them.

Keep reading this post to find out!

What happens if you touch a jade plant?

So, what happens if you touch a jade plant?

If you touch the leaves, nothing will happen.

But, if you touch the sap of a jade plant, several things will happen.

It is important to note that different people react differently when touching the sap.

These effects range from nothing to having a stinging sensation upon touching the sap.

In rare cases, the effects can be so severe that you may need to contact medical services.

Jade plant leaves can cause an upset stomach, leading to vomiting and diarrhea if eaten.

Eating the leaves of a jade plant can also lead to swelling of the mouth and throat.

Thus, the throat closes itself and restricts breathing.

In that case, call emergency services immediately.

In most cases, accidentally eating one will only result in the symptoms mentioned above. After a while, the effects will go away.

However, if the reaction is severe enough, contact a doctor immediately.

There are many varieties of jade plants, ranging from edible to mildly poisonous to highly toxic.

Make sure to research the variety of jade plants you own.

But if jade plants are poisonous to touch and eat, what will its effects be on babies?

Will it be even worse?

Also read: Are Spider Plants Toxic to Birds? (Answered)

Are jade plants toxic to babies?

So, are jade plants toxic to babies? Yes, jade plants are toxic to babies

Several symptoms can occur if a baby (or a young child) eats any part of a jade plant.

After a baby touches the sap of a jade plant, skin exposed to the plant sap can turn red.

If a baby eats the leaf or any part of a jade plant, it can cause problems to their digestive systems.

The baby will have stomach pains, diarrhea, and vomiting.

In some cases, eating the leaves can also cause swelling of the throat, which can then prevent them from breathing.

This can be life-threatening to babies.

Contact a doctor at once if you suspect your baby has ingested parts of your jade plant.

Steps to take to prevent your baby from accidentally touching or eating parts of a jade plant.

First, make sure to keep your jade plants out of reach.

You can do this by placing the plant on a high shelf.

Place the plant behind a locked door if you don’t have any high shelves.

If you do not have these options available, always watch your baby when they are near the jade plant.

But what about animals?

We have covered how jade plants are mildly poisonous to humans, but how about animals?

How toxic are jade plants to animals?

Are jade plants toxic to pets?

Yes, jade plants are toxic to pets—even more so than it is to people.

While babies love touching and tasting things, your pets are more likely to eat parts of your jade plants out of curiosity.

The effects of a jade plant’s poison on your pet are more severe than in humans, with some cases requiring you to take your pet to the veterinarian.

According to the ASPCA, jade plants are considered toxic to pets.

The first symptom is your pet struggling to keep its balance.

They may find it hard to walk, frequently falling over.

The second symptom is vomiting.

 Your pet may unexpectedly throw up shortly after eating the leaves or stem of a jade plant.

If you see your pet biting off the leaves of your jade plant, do not force them to vomit, as it may cause your pet’s condition to get worse.

The third symptom is diarrhea.

If you find your dog or cat having diarrhea for unknown reasons, check your jade plant to see if they have eaten parts of it.

The fourth symptom to look out for is lethargy.

Suppose you find your pet acting unusually tired, in low spirits, or sleepy for no reason.

In that case, it may be suffering from the effects of jade plant poisoning.

If you find your pets exhibiting any of these symptoms, watch them closely.

Be ready to call your veterinarian if the condition worsens.

Also read: Are Spider Plants Safe for Pets? (The Answer Might Surprise You)


Jade plants are famous for being hardy and easy to care for.

Other names they are known for are the lucky plant, money plant, and money tree.

However, they can be poisonous if touched or eaten.

In people, the plant’s sap can cause a burning sensation if touched.

When eaten, it can cause discomfort in the stomach, leading to either diarrhea or vomiting.

In babies, the effects are similar to those in adults. And you must keep your jade plants away from them.

Often, the effects of a jade plant’s poison on humans are mild and rarely ever require medical attention.

The effects of a jade plant’s poison are far more severe in pets like cats and dogs.

Side effects range from lethargy and imbalance to more serious ones like vomiting and diarrhea.

Jade plants are great to have as a houseplant.

But great care must be taken, so your children and pets do not accidentally eat the plant’s leaves and stem.

Always keep your jade plant away from the reach of your child and your pets, as eating them can lead to severe issues that require medical attention.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *